Sunday, April 13, 2008

4 Months on................

Hello all. My blog has become a bit off the weight loss journey and more on entering the prison service! I will get back to the weight loss journey very soon but wanted to let you know whats been happening on the prison stuff. As you all know I had the stupid literacy test and once again thought I had failed and might I say for good reason one of them being that on the last page of questions I just thought 'flag it' and guessed every answer without reading any questions. So as you can imagine I was completely shocked to be told the next day that I had 'passed with flying colours'!!! I still can't believe that! So all I had left was the fitness test which was booked in for 11.30am yesterday 12/04. I arrived after a very restless nights sleep. I think Andy and i thought I was training for some elite race or something. Andy woke me with a poached egg on toast (good protein apparently) and then a cup of tea. I was so nervous. ................................to be continued.
Sorry I had to go to work but now I'm back. So as I was saying I was so nervous the morning of the fitness test I felt like I had butterflies and caterpillars in my tummy. I arrived at the training centre at 10.30 hoping to watch someone else and to calm a bit. The 'commando' introduced himself and said that he was the fitness instructor for all the recruits and that we had to reach this minimum standard to be considered for a position and that he would not tolerate any weak attempts and expected full achievement to receive a pass. Well my nerves by this stage were jangling around. He said I looked really stressed which didn't help me at all. I thought I would be possibly ok if I could do the push ups first then the shuttle run then the agility test cos I felt that I would have the strength at the beginning to do the push ups but if they were last I wouldn't. I asked commando and he said 'nope, the order is shuttle then agility then push ups EEEEEEEK! He showed us how to do the shuttle run told us to warm up then we would start. I don't even know how you warm up so I just walked around looking like a twat! So then we lined up (there is me and two guys) one of whom is repeating his first attempt at the shuttle run. We start to the cd and we are off. Once I got to 2.8 I just thought I can do this and before I knew it I was told to stop as I had completed my shuttle run . The guy who was on his second attempt bombed out then too so that was it for him, The other guy finished. Then I had to the agility which I blitzed in 7.9 seconds. I had 8 seconds to do it. Then came the push ups and I was stressing. The commando said that we had to do them like 'this' and proceeded to show us what was expected of us. He showed us what was a fail and especially pointed out that not going down low enough would not be accepted. He said that he would repeat the number if we did one wrong. So I got down and into position. He said right go. I went down as low as I could and up. He said 'one'. I did it a second time a squeezed my eyes shut expecting to hear 'one' again but he said 'TWO". Wow I was pumped and thought 'I can do this". I went down again and came up to a 'three' and so on until I went down for the seventh and made that horrible grunting sound that says 'I am in pain here and not sure I can do this'. Commando lent right down and said 'don't you give up on me now. Suck it up and do it'. And I did! I passed the fitness test. I am truly proud of myself. I said at the start of this post that the blog had become all about the prison service but the fact is if it wasn't for the band I would never be where I am today and I am so grateful to have some life back. I am still around 96kg and part of that is I haven't been concentrating on good eating but more scoffing what I know will go down and that is usually high in calorie and I plan on changing that very soon now that my focus is a little less on achieving the fitness test goal. Thanks for reading about this journey I hope some of you are inspired to step out of your own comfortable boats and maybe go after something that you really want. Believe me, if I can you sure can. xx for now Dianne

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dianne, that is fantastic - well done! I wouldn't worry about the blog being about the prison service. I'm hoping that as I keep going on my journey my weight will be less of a focus in my life. Sounds like you are on the way to that balance.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! What a terrific acheivement! You must be totally proud of yourself.

Now what is a shuttle run and what did you have to do for the agility training?

Em

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.