Friday, March 21, 2008

Its good friday

Hello all. Don't you just lovvve Easter? Man, I sure do. Well I have a wee bit to catch you up on. I got a phone call on Monday to say that the prison service had spoken to my Dr and were happy that my blood pressure was not going to be a problem and they would like me to attend the Perth Zoo (they have conference rooms) the next morning at 7.30am for a panel interview. I was in two minds about this because to be honest I am a bit over the whole drawn out process and also from time to time people really start to get up my arse and I really question political correctness and just want to tell people what I think their problem is, so, when that happens I'm best left alone to work it out until I get back on an even keel (this is usually a pre menstrual thing but who cares what the reason) anyhow I told the lady I would be there. I set off on our fantastic transport system which consisted of a train at 6.00am into Perth then a ferry across the river. It was very dark when I left but as the sun came up while I was on the ferry it made a beautiful, thoughtful start to the day. So I arrive at the zoo at 7.05am - better early and wait, than stressed out and late. So I got let into the zoo at 7.30am and was given 5 pages of questions that were going to be asked and I could write the answers down and then verbally give my response. At 8.15am this enormous prison officer greets me and takes me into the interview room where I am introduced to another little prison officer and they both sit down on one side of the desk and I sit opposite. So the interview begins. Now I have to tell you that it was about 15minutes into the interview when Mr Big really comes into his own and tries to act like a gruff, tough, try hard and weather that was his intention or not I don't know but as I explained earlier I wasn't in any mood to try and prove my worthiness to this clown so by the end of the interview and after I had told him I likened the two of them to Laurel and Hardy I left! One example was I was asked what was my understanding of the aboriginal people and what did I think some of their problems were and how would I solve these problems. Now this question really did stump me. I work for social welfare and I see one side of a particular race or age or attitude but you cant categorise one lot of people from my experience because its a much broader picture. So I said to Laurel I don't know how to answer this question and he looked at me really irritated and said 'Right if you are walking down a street and its sunset. Coming towards you are 6 white guys, dressed well obviously just finished work. How would you feel? I responded by saying 'fine'. Then he said You are walking down the same road at sunset and 6 drunk rowdy scruffy Aborigines are coming towards you. How do you feel? I said 'vulnerable'. He said ' and that's just stereo typing'. I said. 'no its not'. He said 'it is so' as he lent back in his chair with his arms folded. I lent forward and said if you had of said the six white guys were pissed I would have said I felt vulnerable too, but you didn't. I said, 'it was the word 'pissed'' that made me think I would have been open to a problem not the race. I could be wrong but he sure acted like I wasn't answering like he wanted me too. So, I now wait to hear what happens next but I'm pretty sure he wont be recommending me. If I do manage to get in I'm not entirely sure I will take the job although I'll obviously consider it then. I have been working in our local office this week which has been great for the no travel factor. I had a job interview on Thursday (another one at 7.30am in town) as a parking metre maid. Just while the footy season is on and just on the weekends so I start that tomorrow. That'll give me more experience in customer aggression : )
I'm only really taking it because it may give me a chance to get a full time job for the local council as a ranger. I quite like the idea of working outside and it ll be good exercise lol. I have continued on with jogging this week but I miss doing the ladder so I look forward to going back to my city office for the lunchtime torture. Well time to sign off. Happy Easter to you all. I hope you have a lovely one and enjoy a bit of choccy. Not me I'm getting through the licorice! Any idea what problems I might be having! xx PS I can run 4k's now without stopping.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

4ks without stopping is fantastic! Wow - I'm in awe. You go girl!

What a sucky interview though - what an absolute dill.

Good luck with the parking inspector job - sounds like a good way to stay outside and pick up some extra money.