Monday, November 08, 2010

the journey continues...........................

Day 6 arrived and I waited patiently for Andy to arrive with our coffee and Dr Allen to arrive.  I thought it would be about 2 pm before he came in as that's what it had always been Andy and I had booked into a hotel for 3 days to keep me safe from the tummy bug that my kids and grandy had gotten and also just some time for us. It had been a huge build up and we just wanted to enjoy life for a few days. It was my granddaughters 7th birthday party today so I was hoping to call in on her for a quick surprise before heading to our hotel. Dr Allen arrived at 10am as it was the weekend and he gave me the all clear to leave hospital without the drain that had only collected 20 mls throughout the last 24hours. He also told me that he had performed 4 tucks that week and mine had been the largest amount of skin taken at (3kgs). I am stoked that it was that much as we had talked about it being 1.5kg - 2 kgs at the most. Absolutely stoked!!!   After we got all sorted we left and headed to our sons place to surprise them for a few minutes. It was a lovely surprise and we spent a couple of hours just sitting enjoying a 7 year olds important day. It was lovely. We then headed off and got a few groceries on the way to the hotel. Arrived knackered but happy and crawled off to bed for the rest of the day.
Day 7  Today we headed back to see the kids and we went to church. I then stayed with my sons partner and their bub while Andy went off and did a few boys things with our boys. This was wayyyy toooo much to attempt to do for me and although I loved the day I would have been better off staying at the hotel and relaxing but I really did over do it.
For the next 3 days we just took it easy. On the Thursday (day 10) I went and saw Dr Allen who gave me the all clear to start driving again and said I could head home on the weekend. He said he would see me at the end of November.
Day 12  About 9am we started the 16 hour drive home. I drove for about 2 of them and we decided 3/4 of the way home we were nuts and we would stay over in Carnavon about 9 hours into the drive. It was so good to stop and stretch out on the bed. Definitely the thing to do! We had a smorgasbord dinner and a good sleep then headed off again about 9am the next morning. We got home about 2 and were very glad to see the hills of home come into view. Poor Andy was stuffed.
Frome then till now  (day 21) I have just taken it easy. On day 16 I was allowed to remove the bandage covering the wounds which meant showering without blow drying them dry at the end of it. Small things make all the difference. I have to wear the compression bandage for another few weeks and that's fine even in this 40 degree heat lol. I will do anything it takes to have the best result.
I forgot to say that Andy asked me if there was anything I wanted from the shop. My answer..............yep I want some skimpy knickers cos for 25 years I have never had a pair that havent rolled down and hidden under the flap. (see the before photo). I now have 3 of the best pairs of lacy knicks and they sit on my belly. Wahoooo.
I will keep you posted as I go xx        

2 comments:

Roo said...

It sounds like you have been through a lot but so worth it...flat tummy at last! I am relocated back to Oz in a few months and a tummy tuck is one of the first things I want to get done..did medicare/private health cover part of the op?

Anonymous said...

I only got about 1100.00 back and was out of pocket about 8k in total. I have private ins which covered hosp stay etc.